Sunday, September 11, 2005

A Cool, Modern Nerd

Well, my last post was a little less than spectacular. So, today, I will try to do much better. I have several items of business to discuss today.

First up, The Twins.
Well, it looks like the MN Twins will not be making it to the playoffs this year. Their pitching has been spectacular, but the offense has struggled all year. Obviously, with Torii Hunter's injury, and other role players spending large amounts of time on the DL, have not helped matters. One shining spot on offense is Joe Mauer. Yup the St. Paul native, and essentially rookie this year, has had a BA of .300 or better much of the year. I'm just amazed when I watch this kid hit. He has plate discipline that you don't see with younger players. And then to watch the hits, he doesn't try to do to much. He doesn't always pull the ball, or hit the other way, or hit up the middle, he can do all three. Wow! For next year, if we can get a solid DH.

Secondly, The Cleveland Indians.
It looks as if they will end up winning the AL wildcard. So, my wife asked me, "Can you root for the Indians?" After a brief thought, I say yes! (Admittedly, I am an AL guy, with my favorite teams in order Twins, Mariners, Red Sox, Angels (until Barry Bonds is traded there), A's (now after reading Moneyball), and now Cleveland.) Cleveland is a young, exciting team to watch. They surely will be a force to be reckoned with next year. Really there are only two teams in the AL I will not root for, the ChiSox and the Yankees.

Third, The Vikings.
It's the start of football season. Yes, I'm a Vikings fan, which means I can expect a disappointing season. Yes, many football experts are predicting the Vikings to be improved from last year, and to win the NFC North, but I'm still expecting a disappointing year. My predicition, the Vikings will finish 10-6, win the NFC North, and then get their little butts handed to them in the first round of the playoffs. The score of the playoff game will probably be like 45-10, to someone like the Rams.

Lastly, Cats.
This one is two fold. Although an admitted Griz fan, I am rather pleased that the MSU Bobcats easily won yesterday against their opponent (Stephen F. Austin?). Travis Lulay had a great game, and looks to have a very good year. The Griz lost yesterday, but to a Division I-A school, so a loss was to be expected (somewhat). Let's hope that both the Griz and the Cats get back to the Division I-AA playoffs this year.

Cats, again.
I just love pictures of psycho looking cats. If you're in the same category, check out MyCatHatesYou.Com. It's an absolutely crazy site. Click on the pictures to see a cat and a short description of the cat's "thoughts".

And yes, I am a Cool, Modern Nerd. Thanks to grrrbear for posting a link to a site that confirms what I always knew was true.

2 comments:

grrrbear said...

Happy to help affirm what everyone already knew all through college.

JYates said...

I'd like to amend this post. I was thinking that the Vikings would disappoint me in the post season, now I'm thinking that the disappointment will stem from not making the post season.